Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Week 2-3.5

Insight

"I want to dig a hole. A monstrous crater, smack dab in the middle of a high school lawn, or public park. When people stop and ask me why I'm digging, I'll look up and reply 'You gotta put your problems somewhere, bro,' and continue to dig. Maybe if I dig long enough I'll eventually find treasure." - Tee Engelke

I've never read a biography of any great man whose life has been a continual uphill progress. Every great man has been shit on numerous times, whether his fault or others, before coming out on top. It's important to remember this always. This last month, hell, the last 6 months, have not been very fun. Once the shit starts piling up, it becomes an arduous task to stick to your beliefs and goals. However, this is the time when it's most important. Everyone relapses, but what separates people from others is where they go from there. Giving up is not an acceptable option. Ever.

Week 2,3,3.5


Physical:Learn to Juggle

Messed around with this quite a bit this month. 6 Flashes, or 18 consecutive catches is my current record. I'm pretty proud of that, to be honest. I want to continue to work on this. I don't see myself ever being very serious about it, but it is fun to pass the time.

Structural:Wake up immediately
The few times I did experiment with this, I found myself tired and cranky throughout the day. There could be other factors in this, like not getting enough sleep, or just having a shitty day, but I would not recommend this to anyone else. Enjoy the little escape from reality that sleep is.

Mental:Read 2 book/week from a different literary period
Only have finished two books this month. The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac and The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy.
Both are excellent reads. I plan on picking up some more of Keruoac's more popular work, like On the Road soon.
Dharma Bums - Buddhism, climbing mountains, drinking wine, hitchhiking, writing poems, living in the woods, parties, meeting new people every day, self-exploration.
"
See the whole thing is a world full of rucksack wanderers, Dharma Bums refusing to subscribe to the general demand that they consume production and therefore have to work for the privilege of consuming, all that crap they didn't really want anyway such as refrigerators, TV sets, cars, and general junk you finally always see a week later in the garbage anyway, all of them imprisoned in a system of work, produce, consume, work, produce, consume, I see a vision of a great rucksack revolution thousands or even millions of young Americans wandering around with rucksacks, going up to mountains to pray, making children laugh and old men glad, making young girls happy and old girls happier, all of 'em Zen Lunatics who go about writing poems that happen to appear in their heads for no reason and also by being kind and also by strange unexpected acts keep giving visions of eternal freedom to everybody and to all living creatures. " - Kerouac
The Kreutzer Sonata - Society's views on women, morals, debauchery, capriciousness, modern 'love', corruption of the mind, reasons for having kids and families.
"The way she saw the situation was like this: she'd been giving some extremely weak and fragile creatures [kids] to look after, creatures that were susceptible to an infinite number of disasters. For these creatures, she felt a passionate, animal devotion. What was more, although these creatures had been delivered into her care, the means by which they could be preserved from danger had been concealed from us, but revealed instead to complete strangers, whose services and advice could only be obtained for large sums of money, and even then not always." - Tolstoy 72


I want to continue to read daily for the rest of my life. There is a feeling I wish I could describe better that happens when you come across a profound new idea in a book. Your brain stops for a moment, then rewinds and forces you to go back and read it again, if only to ingrain what you just learned. A wave of relief washes over and you suddenly feel enlightened.

Social: Create and maintain a Facebook
Done.
http://www.facebook.com/bryan.augstein

Musical:Play the Sax (20 mins daily)
I probably played sax about 13 days this month. I do enjoy playing, I enjoy creating all kinds of music, it just isn't as important to me as it once was.

Creative:Learn a new origami creation daily
Did not get to work on this very much. I made about five creatures early this month, and then tried to recreate them today from memory and failed terribly. Strangely, I'm okay with that.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment