Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Week 1

Insight
"'This thinking has stopped' but because I had to think it no thinking had stopped, but there did come over me a wave of gladness to know that all this perturbation was just a dream already ended and I didn't have to worry because I wasn't 'I' and I prayed that God, or Tathagata, would give me enough time and sense and strength to be able to tell people what I knew (as I can't even do properly now) so they'd know what I know and not despair so much." - The Dharma Bums pg 34

Knowledge is truth - seek it and share it with others.

Physical:Learn to Juggle

Haven't made any serious moves on this yet. Messed around for a while a few days ago but that just left me with ruined fruit. I've been attempting to not use any outside sources/advice for this, but to just use my memories of Zac and Pyro and all they've said about it over the last 3 years.

Structural:Wake up immediately
I feel as though this goal needs a little explanation. Everyday when my alarm goes off I hit snooze 3 or 4 times, clinging to a bit of mindless dreaming before I'm ready to start my day. In an attempt to see what effect it will have on my body, physical and mental, I'm going to get up and start my day the second my alarm goes off, not 20-30minutes later.
Today was the first day I've actually had to set an alarm, due to spring break. I woke up, but then found myself wasting time doing nothing because I wasn't used to being up 20-30minutes early. Need to experiment with perfect timing for success.
Mental:Read 2 book/week from a different literary period
So the first week is almost done, and I'm only about 1/3 of the way through my first book. 2 books a week is a little unrealistic, but as long as you learn something, failure is completely acceptable.
I've been reading The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. I've never read Kerouac before, though he's been recommended many times before to me. I like this book a lot so far. A big side topic in it is Buddhism, something I've never really encountered before. Will give a more indepth write up when I finish it.
Social: Create and maintain a Facebook
I hate facebook. And all social networking sites for that matter, but maybe I can learn something from this experience.
http://www.facebook.com/bryan.augstein
Musical:Play the Sax (20 mins daily)
I've only been able to play 1 day so far. It's difficult finding time that won't disrupt someone else in a small apartment with a baby, but I will be trying harder. On days I am unable to play I have been making an effort to be more musical in some sense, either whistling or writing a quick lyric or two.
Creative:Learn a new origami creation daily
The only thing I've been able to make up until now is cranes. The first day I decided to learn to to make a star wars fighter plane. Waaaaayyy out of my range. Spent hours confused at how to do it, and then eventually realized I needed to start smaller. So I made tiny little pig. That's all I've made though, definitely need to devote more time to this.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Rock on. The only juggling "hint" I'm going to give you is this: If you practice every day, you WILL be able to juggle by the end of the month.

    Keep it up! I'll be checking in.

    ReplyDelete